The Track and Field Athletics season runs through the spring/summer. If it’s your first time, don’t panic. Please talk to the coaches and we’ll recommend what’ll suit you best. It’s very much a team thing and fun to do together with your Harrier pals.
We have a number of England Athletics qualified coaches who’ll be delighted to give you coaching in track, jumps or throws if you’d either like to try something out or improve your skills.
Oxfordshire Junior League
There are usually three fixtures in each season.
- Sunday 1st May 2022. Horspath Athletics Ground, Oxford, OX4 2RR
- Sunday 14th August 2022. North Oxfordshire Academy, Banbury, OX16 0UD
- Sunday 4th September 2022. Tillsley Park, Dunmore Road, Abingdon, OX14 1PU
Each competition will have a range of events for the competitors.
- For Under 9 & Under 11’s they have the ‘Quad Kids’ (inc 75m, 600m, Long Jump & Vortex)
- For U13’s, U15’s & U17, there are a range of events to choose from inc 100m, 200m, 800m, 1500m, Relay, Hurdles, High Jump, Long Jump, Discus, Javelin & Shot Putt.
OJL Rules can be downloaded here. Athletes age categories are taken from the 31st Aug 2022. E.g. if you are still 10 years old on the 31st Aug, you are classed as U11.
A timetable of events t.b.c.
We will need parent/helpers at each of the fixtures to help out the organizers with things like Long Jump, etc. Please let us know if you’re able to help out, as it’ll make your afternoon as a spectator much more interesting.
More details of the events, timings, etc can be found at the OJL website.
Please contact email@example.com to register for the team, ask any questions and volunteers to help on the day.
Open Graded Meetings
If you haven’t run on the track since school, Open Graded meetings are a fantastic (re)introduction to Track & Field.
Athletes estimate their finish time when they enter. Each distance (100m, 400m, etc) may have four or five different races. Athletes of a similar finish time are grouped together in a race. For example, the first 1500m race may be of runners with estimated finish times between 5m.40s – 6m.20s – so you compete with runners of a similar pace.
As races are based on pace, not age or gender, everyone has enjoyed the novelty of mixing it up with the juniors and seniors.
Details of the events and timetables t.b.c.
Entries here (link t.b.c.)
Oxford City AC Open Graded Meeting (£6)
- Wed 27th April: entries Roster Athletics timetable meet-4916-Schedule-en-GB-april.pdf (oxfordcityac.com)
- Wed 25th May: entries Roster Athletics timetable meet-4985-Schedule-en-GB-may.pdf (oxfordcityac.com)
- Wed 8th June: entries/timetable tbc
- Wed 6th July: entries/timetable tbc
- Wed 3rd August: entries/timetable tbc
If you are intrigued, but nervous, you’ll be in good company! Please talk to the RunLeaders & Coaches who are keen to put together a ‘try-out’ as a confidence builder. If you have questions about how it works or estimating your expected time, please join the conversation on our FB page.
You may find this race time predictor useful. Click here
The competitive juniors will attend nominated ‘Open Meeting’ with coach, Tom King.
British Masters Athletics Federation Pent & 10K Championships
For Harrier vets (over 35) the British Masters will take place on:
- 8th May 2022, venue: Oxford (Horspath Athletics Stadium)
- details: BMAF Pentathlon & Throws Pentathlon and 10,000m Championships – Masters Athletics UK
- entries: BMAF Pent & 10K Champs (opentrack.run)
Please note the Opens Graded meetings require you to enter individually. You’ll find entries forms on the links.
Men & Women vets (over 35) have the opportunity to compete in the local Southern Counties Veterans Athletics League. This is usually a series of four fixtures 6.30pm – 9.30pm on Monday evenings and has events for over-50s as well as over-35s.
2022 Fixtures (4 fixtures this year)
- Monday 2nd May (bank holiday) Horspath Our Track | Oxford City Athletic Club (oxfordcityac.com)
- Tuesday 31st May, Tillsley Park Overview – Abingdon Leisure
- Monday 20th June, Tillsley Park Overview – Abingdon Leisure
- Friday 22nd July, Swindon Foundation Park Foundation Park | Swindon Town FC Community Foundation (stfcfoundation.com)
The club pays the affiliation fees for our teams to participate in the vets league, so this is a great way to try track and field athletics in a friendly encouraging atmosphere. Please contact team managers, Nick Ski and Kathryn Leech, if you are interested or have any questions.
We have a number of England Athletics qualified coaches who’ll be delighted to give you coaching in track, jumps or throws. Please let us know if you’d either like to try something out or improve your skills.