A huge thank you to all those volunteers, parents and coaches who have been involved with the club this year.
A special mention for:
- Jonathan, Chris and Ian for all your work with the seniors structured training.
- Angela, Tom, Chris and Castel, and Dick for coaching the juniors.
- Sheila for the excellent JogWantage & ‘Welcome Group’.
- Paul Wileman for his energy and enthusiasm bringing on the Sportshall for the juniors.
- Kathryn and the volunteers for supporting the coaches throughout the year. An increasingly important role as the juniors group has grown.
Your contributions are appreciated by the Harriers as we’ve had regular comments saying how much the juniors love training and similar positive feedback from seniors. As a result, we’ve also seen our membership climb over 30% this year.
As well as the usual Summer BBQ and ‘Run to the Pub’, we especially enjoyed:
- The Spring Social that was organized by Castel and featured a great talk by Olympian Mara Yamauchi.
- A very popular Christmas party, organized by Ian Rees, at The Boars Head which included great food, silly games, singing, and was loads of fun.
Many of us had a great season, but some of our athletes were truly inspirational. Those requiring a special mention:
- Lucy Rycroft, Okan Onay and Zack Smith who all achieved medals and PBs.
- Jan McCabe who completed a number of marathons as well as the Comrades Marathon
- Ben Claridge, who won the 400m at the English Schools Championship
- Jonny Cornish was crowned Oxfordshire XC Champion
- Eda Onay represented GB in Biathle & and won the Triathle
- Dick Jegou won the British Masters
White Horse Half Marathon
Our White Horse Half Marathon is a popular race among club runners and is vital to the health of White Horse Harriers. We’re indebted to the team that delivered a successful race in 2016 and have already been working for months on the 2017 race. Many thanks to John Bales, Lee Barratt, Lucia, Kevin & Bob.
Lastly, many thanks to Gareth, Lori, Sharon, Castel, Simon Atkin, Jonathan, Chris, Dan, Ian, Clare and Paul as the committee who have helped update the website, refresh the club kit, update the trophies and all the other things involved in running the club.
It’s been a rewarding year for White Horse Harriers. Happy New Year for 2017!